Wednesday, August 8, 2007

3: Love and French Fries

My maid of honor texted me this morning and told me that she had an incredibly vivid dream in which I ran away to Vegas and got married. Apparently I’m really putting that out into the atmosphere and it’s catching on.

I have calmed down in recent days however and haven’t been nearly as frantic or maniacal about these wedding plans. In fact, I’ve learned to embrace and love the wedding again. My sister called me from a train station in Jersey last night and suggested looking into the Spirit of Philadelphia as a possible venue. I am considering all options though I truly would like a space that is less that $100 per person for my 200 people party. Any thoughts?

Ryan and I had a conversation in the car this morning while I drove him to work about possible venue sites. It went something like this:

Rhian the Bride: I would like our reception site to be somewhere that really means something to us, or has some value to us or can embody our relationship overall somehow.
Groom Ryan: Yea, that makes sense
Rhian the Bride: I don’t want us to get married somewhere that we feel completely disconnected from. At least, not if we can avoid it.
Groom Ryan: OK
Rhian the Bride: Does that make sense?
Groom Ryan: Yea. It makes perfect sense, we don’t want it to be just anywhere.
Rhian the Bride: Right. Well, I mean, I guess it could be just any random place but if that happens then we have to spend time there making it our own by consciously spending time there cultivating memories of the place, or something.
Groom Ryan: Right.
Rhian the Bride: But ideally, I’d like us to get married somewhere that already has meaning. Do we have anywhere like that? Does anywhere matter to us? Where are our special places?
Groom Ryan: Um…

*time elapse*

Groom Ryan: OK well…the pretzel park in Manayunk? [referring to a dog park in Manayunk that is home to a giant statue of a pretzel. We once went for a walk there and only remember that walk because we took pictures while on it]
Rhian the Bride: it has to be inside. And big enough for 200 people.
Groom Ryan: Right, I’m just listing places that mean something to us.
Rhian the Bride: OK
Groom Ryan: Chick fil a?
Rhian the Bride: what?
Groom Ryan: the movie theater?
Rhian the Bride: Are you kidding me?
Groom Ryan: Umm…Penn State?
Rhian the Bride: we can’t have our wedding at Penn State, it’s in the middle of no where, no one would come.
Groom Ryan: they have satellite campuses.

So clearly, we have no idea where to have this deeply meaningful, intensely personal, always-will-be-memorable, wedding. We apparently have only one actual “special place” and it was at a crowded college campus in the middle of the state where we exchanged our first kiss. Either that or next to a big stone pretzel in the smoggy hills of Manayuonk or at the home of the original chicken sandwich. I am not enthusiastic.

If I had my way and the Wedding Gods smiled upon me they would wave the wand clutched in their perfectly manicured hands and grant me an art deco building with an awesome interior. Or maybe somewhere circular. I don’t know anymore. All I do know is that I just want somewhere that will look beautiful in the evening, is big enough, wont cost me more than four years at university and isn't tacky.

The fact that this request seems impossible causes frustration to bubble up within me. I want to fall to my knees in the middle of a stone, urban courtyard and yell towards the sky “is it too much to ask?!” while my anguished cries cause a dozen pigeons to flap away hurriedly and the camera pulls back to reveal that I am alone in a sea of careless people who are going about their regular lives without a second thought.

But, like I said, I am feeling better about all of this and so I keep my faculties about me, I drive calmly next to Ryan when he suggests we exchange our everlasting vows at the drive-thru of a fast food franchise and I allow myself to remember for a moment what everyone has been telling me: that what really matters is me and Ryan and our ardent love for one another.

That and having an open bar at the reception.

Love and thank god this ring is so big,

Rhian

1 comment:

R said...

whoa - that's crazy about putting that stuff into the atmosphere. We should focus on having an extravagent wedding. LOL @ that conversation, btw - it dawned on me right after reading it that we really don't have any attachment to physical places. I think we should just have a pile of stuff that means things to us and take it wherever we wind up tieing the knot ;)